May 18, 2010

I'm on the Hunt I'm After Noobs

I'll admit I've always had a soft spot in my heart for hunters. Partly because my good friend who introduced me to the game played a hunter, but I think mostly because of pets. Warlock pets are nice and all, but you only get a certain few. You get much more choices in the hunter world, and better yet, you get to name them. My first hunter didn't get to play with different pets too much. He was a WSG twink, and boars were king in WSG, at least the way I played it (an argument could be made for cats with fast attack speed, back before they normalized it). Now, this was before all the talent tree for pets things, so things were a bit different, but I played with lots of different pets. My first was one of the cats from the belf starting area. Cats are pretty, and I like them for looks, but, I've never been impressed with their functionality. I tried a bat in ghostlands, but soon went back to a cat. When I made it to the greater world outside Belfland, I picked up a boar for familiarity, but experimented with raptors, crabs, wolves, and some others. I enjoyed switching it up, but, I needed to find a pet to level with that I really liked. Finally, I tried a carrion bird, and found out that their screech ability was like aggro super glue. And they had pretty well rounded attributes so they weren't a weak defense pet like cats. Perfect. Well... not quite perfect... they are ugly.

After a bit of research I found that owls had the same ability and were much cooler looking. However, none could be found low level in Horde or neutral area. In fact, the only low level owls were in Teldrassil. Great. Suicide run. So here I am, level 25 or so, and I need to run my ass all the way across Ashenvale, through Darkshore, get on an ally boat, sneak through the filthy nelf capital city, and steal one of their birds. Crap. Upside? Took my boar with me, and killed ALOT of ally noobs on my way. Did I die a few times getting through Darnassus? Well, yeah. But when I got my beautiful owl (named Phoenix) who would accompany me for most of the next 35+ levels, it was all worth it. With my pet choice out of the way, I could get to the business of powerleveling my way through Azeroth... Hillsbrad, Ashenvale, Thousand Needles, Arathi, Dustwallow, STV, Tanaris, Feralas, Desolace, Swamp of Sorrows, Un'goro, the Plaguelands... all of these melted by quickly with trusty Phoenix in tow. Soon I was finding my way back to the Dark Portal, and made my first visit to Outland wearing the right colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment